Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Godammnit Woody Allen, Pride of Ownership

Alright. I waited 26 years to succumb to woody allen's barrage of film. Not sure if fate intervened so I would get it at the appropriate time, or if I'm just a picky jackass, but this shit is fantastic. Know it's backasswards but he out Larry Davids Larry david. Saw Mighty Aphrodite tonight and was won over. This is the opener (couldn't find anything else), but it develops ten fold so if you get the hint and you aren't in tune, check it the fuck out. This film in particular goes from sprinkles of absurd but relevent, to complete misery. And I can say for the first time in a long while instead of miserable HAHA at the misery throughout, it left me with miserable HAHA feeling ecstatic when it was over. Maybe there's something to the talk. I know a couple of you have avoided it as much as I have.And yes, this sequence is the actual movie and flows throughout. Retardedly high school greekily miserable fun.

Helena Bonham Carter, F. Murray Abraham, Olympia Dukakis, Mira Sorvino, Peter Weller, Michael "I'm not...motherfucking" Rapaport, and Paul Giamatti. Come the fuck on. I'll hate you if you don't dig this. It's serious bitches.






3 comments:

Rickles said...

im with you on this one. i also never saw any woody allen(except sweet & lowdown). however, the other day i watched annie hall on my girls recommendation. i really liked it! it made me realize that theirs alot of other people just as miserable as me. good luck getting thru his barrage though, he releases a movie a year for the last 30 years.

laura said...

I've been a fan of Woody Allen for quite some time. Calculatingly brilliant, Allen has the natural ability to portray the neurosis of hypocondriacs hand in hand with overtly unhibitied Jewish humor - grossly pessimistic in nature with a spoonful of self-deprication, blended together to form the successful concoction of dry sarcasm. Many would agree that Jerry Seinfeld would still be haunting the stand-up circuit had there been no Larry David. So can be said for David had there been no Allen.

laura said...

Some of my favorites I forgot to mention:

Curse of the Jade Scorpion
Everyone Says I Love YOu
Manhattan
Everything You Wanted to Know About Sex (But Were Afraid to Ask)