Thursday, December 3, 2009
Great Movies of 09
Great Movies of 09
1. Star Trek- Franchise best. Works for people who don’t even like Star Trek.
2. Watchmen- Ambitious thought provoking. I had more discussions about this movie then any other this year.
3. The Hangover- Non stop laughs, pure craziness.
4. Adventureland- Underrated film with a lot of emotion and humor.
5. Zombieland- I’m not a horror fan, good thing this was a comedy.
6. (500) Days of Summer- Deals with relationships in a real way. I’m totally into Zooey Deschanel!
7. Tyson- Great psychological study of a confusing individual. Half mad-child, half beast.
8. Away We Go- Another good relationship movie and great road trip.
9. I Love You, Man- Comedy gold, perfect look at guys hanging out.
10. Where the Wild Things Are- Not your average family film, demands multiple viewings.
1. Coraline- Extreme weird and scary movie.
2. Fantastic Mr. Fox- God bless Wes Anderson and his quarks.
3. Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs- A lot better than you think it be.
4. UP- Pixar always hits it out the park. (Except Cars, that was lame)
5. Monsters vs. Aliens- Cool idea and great cast that adds humor.
1. Transformers 2- This movie is a mindless, headache inducing waste of time.
2. Paul Blart: Mall Cop- supposedly a comedy, I never laughed.
3. I Love You, Beth Cooper- Spent most of this one with my hands in the air saying why?
4. G-Force- Whoever thought this was a good idea is stupid.
5. New Moon- Kinda like Transformers 2. Didn’t like the 1st one and the 2nd almost killed me.
Netflix- New to Me
1. All the Real Girls (2003)- From the director of Pineapple Express (David Gorden Green). Great film about love.
2. Kicking and Screaming (1995)- Comedy about college life. Feels like hanging with friends. Its not the soccer movie. (On Instant)
3. Do the Right Thing (1989)- Spike Lee classic, never caught the whole thing. Newsflash its great.
4. Dead Ringers- David Cronenberg is a weird dude. Here’s another example why. Jermey Irons in his career best role. (On Instant)
5. Scott Walker: 30 Century Man (2006)- Strange musician you get as close a look as you could hope from a shut-in. (On Instant)
6. The Hit (1984)- Great thriller, super under the radar.
7. Body Heat (1981)- Erotic thriller with a hell of a twist. Kathleen Turner used to be attractive, who knew.
8. Bigger, Stronger, Faster (2008)- Documentary about steroid use in sports. Made me think. (On Instant)
9. Snow Angels (2007)- Another good drama from David Gorden Green. Sam Rockwell is good as usual.
10. Bukowski: Born into This (2003)- Documentary about a writer who I didn’t know much about, but now I’m a fan. (On Instant)
Coming Up- Anticipated Films
1. Up in The Air- George Clooney, its looks awesome.
2. Sherlock Holmes- Guy Richie can hopefully get back to the days when he made great films. Robert Downey Jr. is on a role right now.
3. Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans- Nick Cage needs a come back.
4. Invictus- almost a yearly thing now: another good Clint Eastwood movie.
5. Crazy Heart- Jeff Bridges as a musician, might win a Oscar for it.
Missed the Cut: Good Movies but Not Good Enough
11. District 9
12. Funny People
13. Anvil: Story of Anvil
14. Public Enemies