Monday, October 29, 2007

Everything under the SunCom

I just came back from trying to pay my cell phone bill; seemingly a simple process involving no human interaction. This is my preferred way to pay a bill- a swipe of a card, the feeding of cash into a little slot, and i'm good for another month or two. SunCom, my wireless carrier, has this wonderfully simple little kiosk in the back of the store where you can pay in a quick and merry fashion...i've grown so familiar with the machine that sometimes i chose the spanish language option just for the challenge.

Unfortunately, roughly half of my trips to attempt of pay are hindered by that most unfortante creature, the broad stereotype. Today it was an elderly woman, screaming at obsenteties at the machine, which took it all in stride and refused to give her a receipt (it turned out this was because she hadn't payed anything yet.) I noticed she was feeding checks into the thing; the check seems like a real anachromism to me. Seriously, does anyone under 30 fuck with these things on a day to day basis. But i digress...the my previous try at payment was hindered by a black man who involed in a conversation with a woman on the other side of the store- she thought he was "sweet meat" but it turns out "sweet meat" was, in fact, his cousin. In both instances, i laughed and left.

You could accuse me of being rascist, or ageist, but I actually get really sad and dissapointed when someone appears to be a walking stereotype. Any thoughts?





1 comment:

Rickles said...

"I feel the conflict within, let the hate flow threw you!" The Emperor